65 Plymouth diagram on how the ignition switch works

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by undertakerman, Jul 6, 2020.

1. undertakerman

undertakerman Member

Does anyone have a diagram that shows how the ignition switch on 65 Plymouth Sport Fury works.

2. 67Mopar

67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

3. undertakerman

undertakerman Member

Hello 67Mopar. When I bought my Plymouth 18 years ago I bought all the manuals from LLoyds within days after I bought it. I have over the years have really used them. My Service Manual is coming apart because I have used it so much. That was the first place I looked when my electrical problem began. What I'm looking for is pictures or diagrams on how the inside works going from pin to pin.

4. 67Mopar

The pin-outs for checking the switch are given on the diagram, but the actual inner workings of the switch itself... that's another story.

5. undertakerman

undertakerman Member

Hello 67Mopar. The ignition switch on the diagram and the pin locations on my ignition switch are spot on. Nothing I can find shows or tells how to check the voltage or the continuity of a Mopar ignition switch. I restored a 68 Ford F100 Flareside ruffly 10 years ago and I remember that in the that Service Manual somewhere it shows how to check the continuity between the pins and the voltage of a Ford ignition switch. I need to find that Service Manual and look up that information and see how I can use that information to check the continuity and voltage related to my ignition switch. I will let you know what I find out.

6. undertakerman

undertakerman Member

Hello 67Mopar. After reading how my 68 Ford Service Manual said how to check the Ignition Switch for continuity. I checked my ignition switch the same way and I found that I had continuity between all the pins except the GRD pin which is not used. Is it possible that having continuity between all the pins except the GRD pin that when the Ignition Switch is turned from the RUN position to the START position the Ignition Switch is not sending a signal to the Starter Relay and the Neutral Safety Switch to start the engine.

7. 67Mopar

I take it your having issues starting the Fury?
    You should only have continuity between the battery terminal and any one keyed position on the switch.... battery to run when key is in the run position, bat to start when key is in the start position, etc. I'm assuming that is what you meant.
    If your having starting issue, you need to do some voltage checks to see where the break in the system is. Fortunately, the starting system is pretty easy.