66 Charger VIN Question

Discussion in 'VIN/Option Codes/Production Numbers' started by M Eddy, Jan 8, 2018.

1. M Eddy

M Eddy New Member

I just bought a 66 charger "Barn Find" with an original 440 motor in it. Which from everything I have read didn't come out in the Charger till 1967. However the VIN code is showing an "L" which would be 67 440 cubic inch motor. Has anyone ever heard of a 66 with a factory 440 before.

Thank You

2. 67Mopar

67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

No 440's in 66... If your VIN starts with XP29L7... your looking at a 67- 440 car. VIN for 66 would start with XP29 ( ? ) 6

Fender Tag has the information... 66 & 67 are different.
    On the 66 tag a 2 digit engine code is found on the left center row under the capital A&B... 41 = 318 ,51 = 361, 62 = 383, 73 = 426
    On the 67 tag a 2 digit code is found on the bottom left, following the XP29... 41 - 51 - 62 - 73 - (83= 440)

66tag.jpg 67fendertag.jpg

3. M Eddy

M Eddy New Member

I will go check that when I get off work, however the Vin code reads XP29L61221889 and it is a 66 charger with 440 motor. I have attached the Vin.

Attached Files:

4. 67Mopar

Quite possibly an aftermarket plate... since there is no code for a 66 Charger with a 440. You can have new fender tags and vin plates made up to match whatever you have however. The practice has long been frowned upon for obvious reasons, but there are those folks out there who do it anyway. A good shot of the fender tag would be cool too.
    What color is the Charger... I see 2 different colors in your image (Red & Yellow), aside from black.
    Pic's please... we love pic's Beer

5. 67Mopar

Another thought here.... are you certain that is an "L"...
    I enlarged your image and rotated it, and now I clearly see an "E" for 318 ... that would make perfect sense.

007.jpg

6. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Yes... When you have time.... We Love Pics.... :)

7. M Eddy

M Eddy New Member

Well it is for sure a big block, so it has been swapped out. Thanks Bob.

8. 67Mopar

Yes, thats pretty common... my own 67 was originally a 318 car. It had the 318 under the hood for about 2 years before it was swapped out for a 383 by a previous owner. Now it has a 440...

Mike

9. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Bigger is always better....lol
    I started out with big blocks when I was first getting into cars.... So when I got my first small block, I was like Auhhhhh man, Look at this tiny thing....lol

10. mrmopartech

mrmopartech Moderator Staff Member

please post the build date of the car and the casting date of the engine to see if it,s possible that it was a last of the production line install,mrmopartech

11. 67Mopar

There were no late production 440's in 66 Chargers... ever... just engine swaps.
    Fender Tag & VIN Numbers... in this case the VIN shows an "E" for a 318 car.

12. mrmopartech

mrmopartech Moderator Staff Member

Did you read my post or do you just want to bitch?It,s posted to show casting date and production date and if there is a vin number on the side of the block,it,s for sure NOT a last week or last day of the production year install,that,s the point of this to see what the truth is,God forbid that mopar put a 440 in place of a 383 as the last 66 goes down the line on the last day.If you know some of the history of mopar when I talk to Galen Govier,you would understand the point.This car could have had the motor changed because of a blown engine god knows when,as the car is 50 years old and we know very little history.So let,s get real info and dates and we go from there,mrmopartech

13. 67Mopar

Not bitch'n Scott, you just read it that way.
    Point is, there never was a 440 option for the 66 Charger. A lot of 67 parts end up in the 66's from the factory, especially toward the end of the run, dash bezels etc, but 440 blocks were not one of them. If there was one out there, I would have heard about it long ago... either through the 1st Gen Registry or the 1st Gen forums.
    The VIN says it rolled out a 318 car, and I'm sure the fender tag reads the same.
    Like you said, if there's a VIN stamped on the block, then it definitely didn't come from a 66 or a 67 because they weren't stamping them at that time.

So, like you said... Did you read my post or do you just want to bitch? ROLF

Drunk

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018