Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Huskidrive, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Huskidrive

Huskidrive Active Member

I'm having an issue with my fuel gauge. When I turn the key on, it pins past full. I disconnected the sending unit wire and it still pins past full. The temp, and oil pressure gauges work fine. I have a new up graded voltage limiter. and the wiring harness to the rear of the car is a new year one repro. The wires on the gauge are connected properly. The gauge has never been removed from the cluster. Every other electrical component is working properly. Any thoughts??????

2. '69 Dodge Man

'69 Dodge Man Member

The fact that it is "pinned full" indicates either a dead short to ground somewhere in the circuit OR a faulty fuel gauge. BTW, the temp & oil pressure gauges are the SAME gauge that is used for FUEL, they are just labeled on the face differently. (hint, hint)

I guess I should clarify that statement. They are the same "electrically" however mounting posts may be a bit shorter or longer as required for the cluster, and as I said, the gauge face is labeled differently as well. (This is true on '69's anyway, '70 gauges most likely are still electrically the same too.)

Ammeter's are ENTIRELY different, do not try to interchange those with an "oil" , "temp", or "fuel" gauge.

67r/t4speeder and Huskidrive like this.
  3. '69 Dodge Man

'69 Dodge Man Member

Probably the 1st thing I'd look for is whether that BLUE wire from the sending unit has gotten "pinched & shorted to ground" somewhere between the instrument panel and the fuel tank. Remember you just had a lot of body work done, that wire could have been damaged somewhere/somehow?

Huskidrive likes this.
  4. Huskidrive

Huskidrive Active Member

Thanks! I'll disconnect the rear harness at the plug behind the kick panel. That should tell me if the ground is from there to the back. If it's still pinned then the problem will be from that point to the gauge........

5. '69 Dodge Man

'69 Dodge Man Member

That is exactly the way to troubleshoot this problem! You're on it!

Huskidrive likes this.
  6. Huskidrive

Huskidrive Active Member

I finally had a chance to check the fuel gauge issue today. I unplugged the rear harness and the gauge went to empty. I plugged it back in and the gauge worked normally. It went to half a tank. I went to the gas station and filled it up. It took 8 gallons and the gauge showed full.I drove around for about 50 miles and the gauge showed a little over 3/4 of a tank. I like when things work out!

'69 Dodge Man likes this.
  7. 67Mopar

67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

Cool Beans Brother! Nothing better than an easy fix. Thumbs_Up

Huskidrive likes this.
  8. '69 Dodge Man

'69 Dodge Man Member

Interesting. WTF So do you suppose that in the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the harness at the kick panel you moved the wires enough to eliminate the "ground" causing the gauge to read full? Wonder if it will at some point come back again?? Did you take a good long look at the connector and wire condition in that area? Wouldn't take much of an abrasion to the fuel sender wire to come into contact with the steel body in that area and cause an intermittent short to ground. Just some thoughts, this "repair" is just puzzling me. Head_Scratcher

Glad its working for you though! Thumbs_Up

Huskidrive likes this.
  9. Huskidrive

Huskidrive Active Member

It puzzles me too! I did give it a good look and didn't see any worn wires. I'll accept this small gift with a grain of salt and keep my fingers crossed.

'69 Dodge Man likes this.
  10. 67r/t4speeder

67r/t4speeder Active Member

That is a mystery for sure just unplugging and plugging back in and it works.

But hey you fixed good job

11. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Dang vehicles do the damnedest things sometimes....
    Glad its working good....
    Drive the wheels off that bad boy !!!

Brakes good still? Clutch adjustment still holding good?

Huskidrive likes this.
  12. Huskidrive

Huskidrive Active Member

Brakes are barely adequate, my friend knows a guy who specializes in classic car brakes. Clutch is fine. I put a hundred miles on her this weekend!

Bob Hogan likes this.
  13. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Nice !!!

14. 67Mopar

I never held much faith in those early Right Stuff kits... Hope you get something going that works for you.

Huskidrive likes this.
  15. Huskidrive

Huskidrive Active Member

I replaced the master cylinder and vacuum booster,it barely made a difference...feels like manual brakes. Plenty of vacuum 21 at idle. I also have a drive line vibration. The drive shaft has been balanced and new universals installed. I know it's an driveshaft angle issue. Everything has been replaced. I had this vibration when it was a daily driver years ago. I have to find a shop in the North Jersey are that can fix this issue.

16. 67Mopar

Problem with those kits (at least the ones I'm familiar with) is the calipers aren't up to the task. Not enough surface area on the pistons... and when it comes to hydraulics, surface area is everything.. "PSI" pounds per square inch. Thats why Big Single Piston sliding calipers generally perform best.

Huskidrive likes this.
  17. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Good Point !!

Huskidrive likes this.