Mike's 67 Charger Restoration - Part 2

Discussion in 'Bodywork/Paint/Exterior' started by 67Mopar, May 10, 2018.

1. 67Mopar

67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

Well, the Charger is back in the game again, being prepped for the final body work and paint.
    The Charger has been taken off the rotisserie for this part of the game, which consists of panel alignments and the finish body work, etc.

Resto01.jpg

Resto02.jpg

Resto03.jpg

Resto04.jpg

Huskidrive likes this.
  2. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Wow... Nice.. Almost time for a high build primer and sanding a squirt some color on the bad girl !!!!

3. 67Mopar

Thats about it Bob, at least once the panel alignment is done, set, and ready to go. I dropped off the trunk hinges yesterday and the two front bump stops for the hood.

Tweak Tweak here, Tweak Tweak there, and a couple of Tra La Las. Thats the way we pass the day in the merry old land of cars. Drunk

Huskidrive likes this.
  4. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Hahahahahaaha.... Rite !!!!!!Double_Thumbs_Up

5. 67r/t4speeder

67r/t4speeder Active Member

Shaping up nicely, keep the updates coming

6. 67Mopar

Got back to work on my Spoiler Project this morning. Almost ready for the preliminary mold at this point. Just a little more cleanup work to do first.

Spoiler02.jpg

Spoiler01.jpg

Huskidrive likes this.
  7. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Any time to work on it yet?

8. 67Mopar

Stopped by the shop this morning.
    Wayne (owner of the shop) has been blocking the quarters and doors on the Charger, marking off imperfections as he goes along. Once he's finished with the fenders, hood, deck lid, etc... they'll have to reshoot it yet again, skim it and start blocking it all over again... but at least its all forward progress from here on out.

9. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Good News.... :)

10. 67Mopar

I was working on the two models for my Spoiler project a little before heading off to work this morning. I have to refine all of the surfaces to a nearly glass smooth finish before making the first set of molds. You see two models in the image below. The one on the right is nearly ready, just a few minor touch ups left before sanding to a glossy smooth finish. The one on the left hasn't been touched yet. I have exaggerated the contrast of the image to highlight the defects that would be hard to detect otherwise.

WP Spoiler01.jpg

11. 67Mopar

The little guy is all done... I can generate a preliminary mold from this one now.
    The big guy still has a day or two to go, depending on how much free time I have.

IMGP0961.jpg

12. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Looks great.. :)

13. 67Mopar

Thanks Bob!

14. 67Mopar

Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to put in on the spoiler this morning, but I did get a little more accomplished. Technically, I have it to a point now where I could just sand it, seal it, and make the mold, but I want to put a few more hours into it first. There's still a few very minor blemishes that I would like to erase before proceeding.

Here's what the big guy looks like now...

Spoiler LG01.jpg

Spoiler LG02.jpg

15. 67Mopar

I stopped by the shop this morning to check on the Charger and to check the spoiler on the car. Wayne has pretty much finished the initial blocking, working out the defects etc. Time for another coat of primer and a second look. He's also been working on the body lines and gaps. These cars were never even close to perfect to start with, so he's bending and stretching things here and there to get a better fit. The last image below gives you some idea of what I speak. You can see the lip of the door is clearly higher than the fender and the cowling. He has already knocked it down quite a bit, but he's not quite there yet. He'll bend it down a little more before he's through. Either way... it's coming along.

Chassis01.jpg
    Chassis02.jpg

16. 67Mopar

I suffered a setback today... I just finished buffing up the long spoiler model to a nice shine this morning. I was thinking of having one more go at it, so I stuck my dust rag through my belt loop and started walking over to my finishing products. When I did, the rag caught up on the corner of the spoiler model and sent it hurdling to the concrete floor.

Yup... that's right, thin flimsy MDF verses Concrete... it broke in 3 places. SwearingSwearingSwearing

Fortunately, they were more or less fairly clean breaks, at least 2 out the 3 were anyway... so it's still salvageable. It'll just set me back a few days, maybe a week.

I can't even begin to tell you how it felt watching that thing spiraling to the floor, and bouncing off the deck behind me. The profanity was loud and strong. I believe it's still echoing out there somewhere beyond the reaches of our galaxy.

17. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

And then you woke up ? Rite !!!!! ?????

18. 67Mopar

I wish!

I got home from work this evening and headed straight for the spoiler to check on the glue joints. I pried, tugged & twisted... they were strong. As I mentioned earlier, one of the breaks wasn't very clean or pretty, but I'm happy to report that all is well. I did a little rough sanding on the wounds, and I think the results look pretty good. Everything is going to be OK... I just have to restart the tedious process of Glaze, Sand, Guide Coat, Sand... Rinse & Repeat.
    I lost a few days, but at least I didn't loose the spoiler.

19. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Good to hear you were able to save the project... Few !!!!
    To have all that time and effort lost, Sure would have taken the wind out of my sails !!!!
    Once you get that all finished, you could ship it off to http://www.roncelli.com/ and get some hard one made.... :)

20. 67Mopar

Cool beans.... yeah, their shop is a little fancier than mine of course, but I'll just have to make do. :D