Mike's 67 Charger Restoration - Part 2

Discussion in 'Bodywork/Paint/Exterior' started by 67Mopar, May 10, 2018.

1. 67Mopar

67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

Oh I'm definitely challenged Crazy WackoBlinko_OHelpHead_ScratcherUnsureCrazy

2. 67Mopar

I stopped by the shop last week... The gal (Kristin) that will EVENTUALLY be doing the pin striping on my car had been there.
    One of the customers at the shop drives a Rocket Powered Dragster. In fact he just recently set a new speed record. To honor him on this occasion they put some pin striping on his Golf Cart. He uses the cart to tow all his start up gear for the dragster. His nickname around the shop is the smiling psychopath. That's because he's always smiling, and you have to be a complete loon to drive a rocket powered car that frigg'n fast. So this gal painted his picture on the cart along with all of the detail and pin stripe work... all freehand, no guides or stencils, while the guys just sat there and watched. She did the entire cart up, but I just took this one shot of his portrait.

Killustrator2.jpg

67r/t4speeder and Bob Hogan like this.
  3. 67Mopar

Just in case your ever curious about this...
    If you fire up your rocket powered dragster in the driveway before taking it out for a quick spin, be forewarned, it will evaporate the pavement out in front of your house, and burn your neighbors property down across the street.

Rocket_Power.jpg

4. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Sweet !!!!!!! Rocket cars are cool... Have seen run in Ages !!!!!!!

5. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Ant looks like some other folks love to burnouts, out in front of his house.....Hahahahaahaha Nice !!

6. 67Mopar

Started prepping the full length spoiler this morning... Hope to have it done and ready after tomorrow, but that would be pushing it. It's not like I have a lot of free time... usually minutes, but still, I'm hopeful. :rolleyes:

SP11.jpg

Huskidrive and 67r/t4speeder like this.
  7. 67Mopar

Life as usual... almost had to drive to my house in NH this morning. Forgot my iphone at home yesterday, and didn't bother checking it last evening when I got home. Checked it this morning and found that the heat had been off at my place in NH since the morning before. I immediately gave my cousin a call because I knew he was awake at 6:30am, and would be in the area working at that time.
    He stopped by my place and got the heat up and going again. Hopefully it will stay on for a while. I'm going to have to look at it when I get up there again on my next day off, which is the 23rd. Probably the contactor for the burner going south.

Either way, that sucked up the majority of my time this morning. I did manage to get a little more done on the spoiler in between phone calls and text messages however.

SP12.jpg

Bob Hogan likes this.
  8. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Well, That sounds about rite... "Bad new is the Heaters broke, The good news is the A/C is working just fine and cold as hell!!" hahahaahha

A little along can go a long way sometimes... :)

9. 67Mopar

Ended up in NH the next day... Boiler went off line again, so I drove up there and replaced the old controller Saturday afternoon. Hung out for the weekend just to make sure everything was good to go, then I headed home again.

Of course, any chance to get up there and see the grandkids is always a welcome opportunity.:)

Huskidrive and Bob Hogan like this.
  10. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Anytime to get away is a good time !!!!!! 1000% agreed !!!! Well hope the heater stays working and doing it's job... Frozen stuff is not fun to deal with.. :(
    I'm sure the weather was not much fun? Hope all the roads stayed open for y'all... Burning_Rubber

11. 67Mopar

Furnace is still running up north, so we're good to go there. I'm headed that way tomorrow morning (Saturday). Going to spend a few days there, then head back to CT for an early Thanksgiving. We're having turkey day on Wednesday this year... I'm working Thanksgiving day so some of the younger guys at work can be at home with their wives and children on Thanksgiving. I've never worked a Thanksgiving day in my life until now. I worked Christmas day once, last year, again for the first time in my entire life... not this year though. I'll be home for Christmas... You can count on me.

Huskidrive and Bob Hogan like this.
  12. Bob Hogan

Bob Hogan Active Member

Well that is down rite nice of you Ill have to say.... I think I would have told them to Blue flu it.... LOL

13. 67Mopar

Had a chance to work on the spoiler this morning for a little bit. I have to put about one more solid hour into this one before it will be ready for the next step.

I mounted it on the wooden plank for the mold box this morning, and started finishing up with the clay. Front and back sides are both covered now, just working my way out to the edges of the board now. As I said... I have to put another hour into this effort and it will be ready.

SP13.jpg

Bob Hogan and Huskidrive like this.
  14. 67Mopar

Put a little time in on the spoiler models this morning...
    The big guy is mounted on the wooden base and completely covered in clay at this point. All that is left to do here now is detail the clay on the two models, and add registration markers to the clay. The markers are used to align the mold rubber that will eventually replace the clay.

After that it's time to mix up some chemicals and build a gypsum based polymer shell over the clay. This will create the mold cavity for pouring the actual mold rubber.

SP14.jpg

67r/t4speeder and Huskidrive like this.