Mike's 67 Charger Restoration - Part 2

Discussion in 'Bodywork/Paint/Exterior' started by 67Mopar, May 10, 2018.

  1. 67Mopar

    67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

    Finished up the other spoiler mold this morning. They are both ready for the next stage of the game now, building a polymer shell around all that clay. Basically the same procedure you would use for Fiberglass... a Gel Coat for detail, followed by Glass reinforcement. Only in this case we'll be using a Polymer based product. Chopped fiber will still be added to the polymer for reinforcement though.

    SP18.jpg
     
    Huskidrive and 67r/t4speeder like this.
  2. Bob Hogan

    Bob Hogan Active Member

    Nice !!
     
  3. 67Mopar

    67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

    Got a little more done this morning.
    Just as with Fiberglass, you start by spraying your model with a light coat of the appropriate mold release product. Brush it lightly with a soft brush to spread it around, insuring good overall coverage. Then hit it with another light coat and let it sit for a few minutes.

    SP19.jpg
     
  4. 67Mopar

    67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

    The next step is the Gel Coat... the only difference here is I'm using a polymer based product to create my Gel Coat. I mixed up enough to cover the small spoiler and about a 3rd of the larger spoiler. Then I ran out of time and product, so hopefully tomorrow.

    SP20.jpg
     
  5. Bob Hogan

    Bob Hogan Active Member

    DrinkingDrunk You go Buddy !!
     
  6. 67Mopar

    67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

    Finished applying the Gel Coat on the full length spoiler this morning. Now I just have to add some fiber to the mix, and start building it up to make it strong and ridged.
    I may start on that tomorrow morning before work if I have time... that's a big if though... we'll see what happens.
     
    Bob Hogan likes this.
  7. 67Mopar

    67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

    I applied the reinforcement layers to the mold boxes yesterday.
    Once it cured, I used a spray foam (tough stuff or whatever) to fill the remaining voids.

    Spoiler22.jpg
     
  8. 67Mopar

    67Mopar Moderator Staff Member

    I pulled the models and the clay from the mold cavity this morning. I still have to cut the excess foam off the back side, but that's no biggie.
    Had a rough time getting the models out of their respective mold cavities. Normally you would wrap up your model in plastic wrap, cover it in clay, and apply your polymer shell coating, all in the same day, but... I don't have all day for such things. Consequently, the plastic wrap has sat there for so long that it had adhered itself to both surfaces, the clay and the models. Equivalent to trying to remove something under a super strong vacuum. I got it done none-the-less. Just had to carve away some of the clay first to get a little movement going. It took a long time though.
    Either way, I now have two completed shells ready for mold rubber... one for the full length spoiler and one for the shorty.

    I still have to remove my little registration markers (nuts) from the shell to though. I didn't have them inserted into the clay deep enough, but again no biggie. Hoping I'll have time to finish this up this morning before heading off to NH, so we'll see. Just wanted to update things this morning.

    P.S. I also bagged up the clay that I removed from each mold. This way , all I have to do is weigh the clay from each mold, and this will tell me approximately how many cubic inches of Mold Rubber is needed to fill the void left behind by the clay.

    Other than that... I'm headed to my house up in NH later today...

    Spoiler24.jpg

    Spoiler25.jpg

    Spoiler26.jpg



    Still have to cut this foam off here so it's flush to the box

    Spoiler23.jpg
     
  9. Bob Hogan

    Bob Hogan Active Member

    Dam Dude.... You got game !!!!! Thats looking awesome !!!!! :)
     

Share This Page