Discussion in 'Bodywork/Paint/Exterior' started by 67Mopar, May 10, 2018.
Separate names with a comma.
Nice Work !!!!
Saw my car at the shop this morning... My wife had the day off, so she tagged along.
The engine bay has been painted out now with the upper body color, and has been given the seal of approval by the wife. Previously, my wife had no interest at all in my planned color scheme for the Charger, she thought it was dull & boring.... Now that she has seen a little piece of it however, her opinion has swung around 180 degrees. She's all excited now!!! Which makes me very happy. It was one of those times when you get to say the words "I Told You So" to your wife, and get away with it.
The body has been prime (AGAIN) 3 more coats for the final blocking, but they plan do hit the interior with Lizard Skin before finishing the outside.... so more to follow there.
This picture doesn't do it justice, but it's all I have at the moment.
The color is actually a "Warm" Pearl White.
You can sure see the Pearl in that !!!!!! Looking darn good at this point.... Now you know your not really going to get away with this ( "I Told You So" to your wife, and get away with it.) Stuff are you !!!!! I'm coming over for a BEER AND WATCH THIS!!!! Hahahahaha....
All funing aside. I'm glad she is onboard with how it is going...
I've been busy Photoshop'n here recently, trying to get everyone on board with the pin stripe style and colors that will run along the side panels on the Charger. The shop needs to know this before they start painting the body colors, so they know where to start and stop.
Without a visual, the boys at the shop weren't to keen on my ideas for the pin stripes. So I fired up the 27" MAC, found a good pic of a trendy Grey Charger to use as a base. Change the grey body color to my future body colors!!!... then I Photshopped a bunch of different styles and color combinations using some of their suggestions, along with my own. Once the smoke cleared, the boys at the shop, "and my wife", were all in agreement.... My original idea looks the best, so I'm happy, they're happy, the wife is happy... everyone is happy now!
I like because I really like it
I could do without the Mustard Color.... My preference would have been 2- Black Stripes or The Mustard would be a Brite Silver to accent the Chrome... Only my 2 cent of course. But that's what we do is bounce Ideas off each other....
But I do think it looks good..
Thats what make each of us different... Cheers Cheers !!!!
That's Okay Bob... The boys at the shop said the same thing... but when they saw the whole picture (not just the close ups) they changed their minds. The stripes have to work with the rest of the package (planned color scheme). I made up a bunch of different pic's to choose from using different styles and colors, but when you see them applied to the big picture (not shown) things look different.
I was pressed for time as usual but I mixed up some chemistry yesterday morning.
Many lessons learned here, however.
Since the final end product will be cast from a very hard material that is similar to the standard ABS materials used with other spoilers, I could only use one particular type of mold rubber for the job... One that I have never worked with before.
So first lesson learned... this particular mold rubber is Extremely Thick. Very, very difficult to stir the first component chemical prior to mixing with the second. I broke a wooden spoon and burned up a 1/2" drill trying to stir it up... I later discovered a shortcut for the future. Once you add the other stuff it thins out a bit, at least you can stir it up.
Once mixed, this mold rubber pours like really cold molasses... but starts to stiffen up in minutes. Which brings me to lesson two...
As seen previously, I had put three small openings in the mold box. One to pour the rubber into, and the other two to vent the trapped air idisplaced by the mold rubber. Well this rubber is so thick and slow to pour and settle that my mold rubber was stiffening up before I could get it all in the mold via the little nickel sized opening. I will need a much bigger opening for the next pour.
So I made a big giant mess, but hopefully succeeded in the process.
The other thing I learned today was "Don't Forget To Secure The Mold Box To The Base BEFORE POURING the mold rubber... yup, that was a mess
Last pic is my Vacuum Chamber at work... sucking all the air bubbles out of the liquid mold rubber before pouring it into the mold.
I didn't have time to play with the mold this morning because I had to hit the road and head to NH.... so I took it with me.
I won't bore you with the details, but yesterdays mold saga ended in success. So far so good anyway. Just have to pour the bottom half now, but that's the easy part.
i like it...